Sunday, April 1, 2007

Ear Plugs? Yeah Right!

Today was Ty's first bath since having his tubes in. When he takes a bath he cannot get his ears wet, therefore he must wear ear plugs. An alternative to the ear plugs is cotton balls dipped in vaseline.

Thinking that Tyler would more likely keep cotton in his ears than the plugs, Jim and I decide to try them first.

We get Ty undressed, run his bath water and attempt to put he cotton in his ears. He begins screaming and flailing around and immediately bats the cotton out of his ears.

Jim tried putting cotton in his ears to show him that it doesn't hurt, but he could care less. We tried telling him if he wants a bath then he needs to put the cotton in his ears. Then we asked him if he wanted a bath, which he did, but he still didn't want us to come anywhere near his ears.

Next we tried the silicone plugs which look like a large ball of wax. I got one in his ear, but he was wailing and batted the plug right out.

This battle went on for about 20 minutes. Truthfully I was ready to give up on tonights bath and just let him be a stinky baby.

Finally Jim held his arms down while I inserted the plugs. Jim then placed him in the tub while continuing to hold his arms down. I quickly washed him, the whole time Tyler screaming bloody murder.

What a battle! I can't go through this everyday! Now I dread our next bathtime and I am sure Tyler will begin to also. It seems so cruel to basically restrain him so he can take a bath. Tyler used to love his baths. It was my seceret weapon to get him to calm down when is was in a foul mood.

Anyone out there have any suggestions or similar experiences? I would love your feedback!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about your experience with the earplugs. My son, Conner, will be getting tubes placed in one week. YUCK! Maybe then I will be able to give you some input.

Anonymous said...

My son is 27 months and had his tubes placed for the second time this past June. We never had much luck with earplugs, even the ones that were custom made for him (although he seemed to mind those a little less). I read some research that said children who didn't wear the earplugs didn't necessarily have more infections (as long as they don't stay underwater for a long time.) You could Google that and see what you find. Even the surgeon said that if the water is running over his head rather than him being submerged in it, it should be fine. If I really need to put his earplugs in I find that he can sometimes forget about them after a few minutes if I distract him with something really interesting, but most of the time I don't use them. I bathe him without tubes every day and he hasn't had any infections at all. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Amiable fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

Anonymous said...

my son just got tubes on monday and i bought a neoprene headband at a website called earbandit.com and it works great at keeping water out. good luck.