Friday, March 30, 2007

Dry Winter Skin

Like with most people, during the winter months I get dry winter skin. Dry skin drives me nuts! I have been itching like crazy.

This morning on Good Morning America, they had a segment on about dry winter skin; what causes it and how to get rid of it.

Causes:
- A lack of moisture in the air mixed with the dry was forced heat in our homes.
- Taking long hot baths or showers.

Suggestions:
- Do not take a hot shower or bath. Take a 5 minute or less warm bath or shower.
- Use unscented non-soap body washes such as Dove or Aveeno.
- After your bath immediately follow with baby oil or Oil of Olay Bath Lotion and pat your body dry.
- Follow with a moisturizer such as Aveeno.
- For super dry areas such as hands and feet cover with Crisco (non buttered flavor) or Vaseline and put socks and gloves over hands and feet to keep the moisture in without making a mess overnight.
- Vaseline can also be used on dry, chapped lips.

TIP: I once read years ago in my Grandmother’s Women’s World magazine a great tip for chapped lips and it works wonders.
- cut a slit in a vitamin E pill and squeeze contents over lips (do this at night, your lips will be super sticky)
In the morning your lips will feel soft and completely healed! I promise!

I am going to try the suggestions from GMA and I will let you know how it goes! Have any suggestions of your own? Please pass them along!

No comments: